Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ginger Lime Marinade



Combine in a large bowl:
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
Whisk until combined and refrigerate until ready to use. To save calories, use about 1/2 cup of marinade for every pound of meat -- that's 2 tablespoons per 4 ounces of raw meat, enough to coat without excess.  This recipe makes about 1/2 cup of marinade.

You can use this on beef, pork or chicken.  I used it on chicken and grilled the chicken to make Leafy Grilled Chicken Salad w/Creamy Balsamic Dressing. http://artofcookingfromscratch.blogspot.com/2010/07/creamy-lo-cal-balsamic-dressing-made-w.html
I have found that using the right tool or gadget can make a difference in the ease and efficiency of cooking from scratch.  I made a key lime cheese cake once that called for, I think 8 or more freshly squeezed limes. This is a very tasty cheesecake, but after making it for the first time, I was sure it would be my last, simply because squeezing all of those limes was such a big job -- took me over an hour just to squeeze the limes!  When I complained about it to Rita, who gave me the recipe, she just shook her head and said, maybe you aren't using the right tools. That's when I learned about this nifty citrus squeezer.  Every once in a while, I still may use Real Lemon or Real Lime that comes in a squeeze bottle, just because I have some in the fridge and I don't have a fresh lemon or Lime on hand.  But if you can possibly use fresh lemon or fresh lime juice, the taste is definitely better -- this little gadget makes a difficult messy job into an easy one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment